DepEd Memo 378 s. 2009
2009 Teacher's Month Campaign
In 1983, United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization inaugurated Oct 5 as World Teachers' Day, a day to celebrate teachers and the central role they play in guiding children, youths and adults through the life-long learning process.
In the Philippines, The Teacher;s Month Campaign was launched in 2008. Spearheaded by the steering committee composed of the Metrobank Foundation, De La Salle Philippines, Philippine Business for Education, Campaigns Social Response and DepED with the support of some business institutions.It was intended to contribute to the growth and development of the teaching profession in the country as well as publicly express appreciation to mentors.
The Teachers' Month Campaign will be launched once again this year during Metrobanks 47th anniversary celebration on September 4, 2009 designated as the World Teachers' Day. The theme of the 2009 Teachers' Month Campaign is "My Teacher, My Hero".
The Teachers's Month Campaign aims to:
- generate widespread awareness and support for World Teachers' Day;
- use the occasion to celebrate the unique role and service that teachers play in guiding families, strengthening of communities and building nation;
- revitalize the image of teaching as a vocation by increasing public awareness on the value of teachers in the Philippine society and national development.
- articulate the accessibility of a career in teaching by outlining available scholarship grants and school subsidy programs and
- affirm current and retired Filipino Teachers by coordination with a chain of establishments to provide value added service or discounts for teachers.